Friday, April 30, 2010

Kick-Ass

As promised, here is the much anticipated review of Kick-Ass… and wow was this a whammy! (yes, I just said whammy) I don’t know where to start with this incredibly smart comedy, action, or however it can be classified. I know anyone who is reading this right now that has seen the preview is probably thinking I’m crazy, but stick with it.

Based on the comic book of the same name, Kick-Ass follows an average geeky high school student who is so curious why no one has tried to become a Superhero that, despite the logical reasoning’s of his friends, decides to pick up a secret persona to fight crime. Little does he know, there is already a father-daughter superhero team working to take down the biggest crime syndicate in the city, and Kick-Ass soon gets caught in the middle.

This starts off as the typical dumb teen comedy that you would predict from seeing the trailers, and then it takes a drastic turn. This becomes a full fledged, legit, superhero action flick along the lines of anything that has come from Marvel (minus Ghost Rider; which coincidentally starred Nick Cage).


Chad: It reminded me of Pineapple Express, where it starts out as a comedy and ends with ludicrous action.

Kevin: And man was the action over the top and gratuitously hilarious.

Gina: The whole movie, I was thinking “this is horrible, how could they make this little girl so brutal”, yet I thoroughly enjoyed it. But I think normal girls won’t like that.


The flow of the movie, while not needing to be too extensive, went above and beyond giving more substance than needed… which worked in it’s favor. Though the character execution from the whole cast really pieced it together. Aaron Johnson as Dave/Kick-Ass, Nick Cage as Damon/Big Daddy, Fogel as Chris/Red Mist, and most importantly Chloe Grace Moretz as Mindy/Hit Girl all pulled out all the strings, lost all inhibitions, and risked their reputations to fulfill the roles set forth by the pages of the comic book.


Kevin: I will have to say that this is one of Nicholas Cage’s best movies!

Chad: No way! He almost killed it with his girly screaming. Somebody needed to shoot him sooner. It would have been an automatic five if it weren’t for him; I had to subtract half a point.

Gina: I added half a point for Nick. I almost lost it when he shot his daughter. I also like that the main character wasn’t a big name actor.

Kevin: His friends were perfect too, you didn’t see them much but when they were there they were hilarious. I didn’t really need the love interest of Kick-Ass, but it had to be there. Even Spiderman needed Mary Jane (even if she was played by Kirsten Dunst).

Chad: Wait… You can’t get away from the best martial artist of our generation, Hit Girl, and I truly believe she was doing her own stunts.


The trailers didn’t do it justice and gave the feel of a full on comedy, but don’t be mistaken, this has more action than almost any movie out this year. If you can handle the brutal, bloody, dark comedy aspects (and I’m talking an 11 year old flipping, slashing, stabbing, and shooting through a hallway of bad guys only to be kicked in the face by a grown man) then you will love it. Not that there is any huge crazy twist, but I won’t give any more details on the conclusion (you can go to Roger Ebert’s review for that spoiler)


Chad: It kicked ass! 4.5 of 5 beers.

Gina: 9 of 10 stars.

Kevin: 9 of 10 stars.


Overall, we give a solid 9; and may I add that this is Gina’s highest review of any of our movies so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment